Though my academic training is as a composer, I also specialize as an instructional designer. During the 2013–2014 academic year, I served at the University of Utah Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence as a Graduate Fellow and Post-Doctoral Fellow. The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is the faculty development center for Utah’s state flagship institution. Here are some of the experiences that I had at CTLE:
- Providing in-depth in-class observations and student focus groups to help faculty and graduate student instructors improve their teaching.
- Teaching CTLE-6510/651, Cyber Pedagogy, an online course about adult learning theory, online course design, and online pedagogy.
- Consulting with faculty regarding flipped, hybrid, and online courses.
- Advising faculty on syllabus design, lesson planning, and alignment.
- Designing online courses for faculty and staff at the U, most notably a Bias Incident Reporting Toolkit for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
- Designing two workshops for the Teaching and Learning Technologies Teaching With Technology Day and the Teaching Workshop Series on Creating Community in the Classroom.